Now that the wool is prepared, it is time to start making our products. Here is an example of how we make a Woolly Boo Mattress Pad:
1. The wool is cut into the appropriate size. For example, our mattress pad is the size of the standard U.S. crib, 53" x 31", and laid out on the working table.
2. The inlet material is sewn and the wool is inserted inside.
3. The wool is arranged so there are no lumps and no bunching. After that has been done, the wool with the inlet is inserted into the cover material, Sunshine Yellow Damask in this case.
4. After the cover is sewn, the entire process is moved to a different, specialized comforter sewing machine. The Mattress Pad is sewn through to ensure there is no fiber migration.
5. The carry bag is finished and the Mattress Pad is folded, inserted and stored.
In case you were wondering, those are Grandma's and Grandpa's hands making the Mattress Pad.
At this time, I would like to thank the good folks at Udruga Ruta Cres or Ruta Association from the Croatian island of Cres for the great photos of hand wool processing. Their photos are much better than what I came up with.