Friday, May 7, 2010

Tent weights

Inspired by this blog post about making your own weights for the show tent, I embarked on a little DIY project after I packed the kids off to bed.

My husband looked at me all perplexed, as in why is she mixing cement at 9 pm? Then he gave me all the moral support he could muster at that late hour.

I followed all the steps, except a few changes: I couldn't find anyone to custom cut the pipe for me, so I used pre-cut 2' pieces that were on the shelf. I figured with the curtain weights and ground stakes I should be OK. Also, I coudn't find the cap ends that she used. Rather, I found the 4" white cap ends, but they simply wouldn't fit on the pipe. So I used the black adjustable ones. I think they actually might be a little better. As I was walking off the lot, a few guys looked at me with all this plumbing stuff in the cart, and one actually asked me if I was going to do all that by myself. I proudly said yes. He just laughed in support.

Back home, I start assmebling my project. When I was about to go to the final step, I realized I don't have enough cement. Going to Home Depot at 10 pm wasn't really an option, so I started digging around my basement. Wouldn't you know it, I had a 10 lbs bucket of fast setting cement just hanging out next to the furnace. Yeah me.

While I was at it, I decided to paint them as well. I mean, the PVC pipe red stripe and the bar codes just didn't mash with my display. I used green spray paint in satin finish. I think it will bring a bit pizazz to my display. I may try to paint some flowers on them tomorrow, just for kicks.

This is the final result. I am very happy and hope they will give me many, many years of steady tents.

No comments:

Post a Comment