Thursday, September 16, 2010

To wash or not to wash, that is the question

And the answer: go right ahead!

Every time I have a conversation about this issue in regards to Woolly Boo products, most people look at me like I have two heads. Seriously. Yes, the common wisdom is that wool should not be machine washed. And yes, you shouldn't wash any of our products with hot water with highest spin. Everything in moderation, temperature, detergent, and spin.

We recently replaced an antiquated washing machine in our laundry room with the Electrolux. My reaction, after having used it for a month now is: where have you been my whole life? Why? Well, if you remember a few weeks ago we did a show in Woodstock-New Paltz. As magnificent as that show was, the bad part was that at this point in the year there was no grass on the ground, and it was a dry day. What that meant is that there was so much dust in the air, between the foot traffic and the large fans. So, when we got home, it was clear that every single thing that was in New Paltz needed to be washed, starting with product samples.

At first, I was a little apprehensive, since the new machine was never used for this purpose. I knew it would be good, it was just a matter of finding the right setting and pressing the right button. Well, it looks like I've done, because the samples came out of the washer looking magnificent. Look at the mattress pad:



And the sample sleep sack came out looking better than I remember it. While I was on a roll, I also washed the plastic covers for the sleep sacks. Oh, a thing of beauty. And the tag said that they should never be washed. Well, proved them wrong, didn't we?

For the record, we used the following settings: "hand wash" with cold water and minimum spin. You don't have to use the spin, if you don't want to, but it will cut your drying time significantly. Air dry it flat, possibly in the sunlight.

This is by no means a scientific testing, but it was a first step. We still recommend that you don't wash your Woolly Boo products unless absolutely necessary. If you are unsure or what to do, please contact us, and we'll walk you through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment